5/4/23

Volunteer Placement At BSBCC

Text by Peter Lowe

Photos by Jacquelyn Jill Jepiuh


This has been my 4th placement at the BSBCC. The last being March 2019. I had booked a placement for March 2020, however Covid restrictions made it impossible to return till now.
It is nothing short of miraculous being able to fulfil my dream to return, as I am 72 years of age so well beyond my prime. I feel Sabah has become my 2nd home.

However whenever I have been fortunate to participate at the BSBCC I have felt a very strong energy both physical and spiritual from the teams and the forest.
This time has been no exception. It must be challenging for the team to work with volunteers unfamiliar with the tasks = require supervision and English not being their native tongue.

Each volunteer is assigned a “Buddy” all of whom have had infinite patience and always ready to help with a smile and a lasting bond is made. I highly recommend anyone interested in animal welfare and doing something meaningful to apply for a placement to volunteer here at the BSBCC. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. You will leave with many happy memories that will last your lifetime and, maybe you will be affected like I was and feel the urge to return to this very special place on our planet.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart Dr.Wong and all your team at the BSBCC for your patience, welcome and friendships.

As always I hope to return. Meanwhile, carry on with the wonderful work you do here. The bears all look in better health than in 2019 even Amaco. They are bear shaped now, brighter eyes and a wonderful sheen to their hair. Fulung is a completely different bear than in 2019, very active and the scar hardly visible.

No comments: