4/20/19

05/03 – 20/03 2019, My 3rd year of volunteering at the BSBCC

17/4/2019

Text by Peter Lowe
Photos by Peter Lowe & Chiew Lin May

Hi I am Peter Lowe, 68 years of age, living in Prague, Czech Republic. This is my third placement at the BSBCC and hopefully not my last!

Many people ask "why do I return?". The reasons are many! I always come in March when the days in Prague are still short and mainly dull and cold, compared to the sun, heat and, mainly, blue skies of Sabah.

This is enhanced by the feeling of love, joy and dedication one gets from Dr.Wong and his team at the BSBCC. It is a joy and a privilege to be part of their team.

Brilliant way to start the day to be greeted with smiles of welcome that beat the brightest rays of sunshine. Dr. Wong's team and my fellow volunteers give me the will, energy and inspiration to return, plus of course the stars = the Bornean Sun Bears. They are absolutely adorable, I never leave with dry eyes and always have it in my heart to return; plus each day I learn so much both from the team, my fellow volunteers = where they come from, their hobbies, cultures etc. and the bears = their habits, characters and how they have grown/changed over the years. These are just some of the many reasons why I return to this very special project, I feel like I am coming home!

This year my fellow volunteers are, 2 from Sweden Natalie and Milla, 2 from UK = Pip and Jane, Shuma from Japan and Fang from Taiwan, an interesting mix of both ages and nationalities.

After our initial induction with Azzry, Bear Care Co-ordinator and Sumira, Project Co-Ordinator, we went to the area outside the Bear House to meet the staff and to guess who is our respective "buddy". This year my buddy is a new member of staff, Adneen, who cares for the eldest bear, Amaco, 27 years of age (this is quite a remarkable age when you consider they are the same as a dog,1 human year = 7 Sun Bear years) So Adneen has the eldest bear and the eldest volunteer = yours truly as his buddies.

Afterwards I helped Adneen make an enrichment for Amaco = putting peeled bananas with peanut butter spread on them (his favourite) wrapped in ginger leaves then tied, sprinkled with curry powder (the bears find this smell irresistible) which we then put inside a plastic drum with holes drilled in it large enough for Amaco's paw/arm to fit in. We then suspended the drum in his sleeping den at his head height. He has had problems with his upper spine/neck and had become lazy to stand up. This enrichment is designed to encourage him to stand to get his treats out of the barrel. It was 100% successful as he emptied the barrel!

Adneen and I then designed a ladder using rope, lengths of fire hose, nuts and bolts, for Amaco with the intention to suspend some of his favourite foods at different heights, so he will use the ladder to climb and stand on his hind legs to get to them. Much to our delight his has been a complete success.

Thank you all who make these experiences possible and the wonderful work you do, you are all so special and bring so much happiness to so many! I plan to join you all again in March 2020! To anyone considering partaking in this APE Malaysia project DO IT! You will not regret it. Yes it is hot, at times messy, hard work. However you will always remember the fun you will have plus this amazing, unique experience. Maybe, like me, after being part of this project you will want to return more than once! 

Induction with fellow volunteers, Azzry and Sumira.

View from the kitchen at the volunteer residence, Paganakan Dii.

Saturday night market food hall, Sandakan.

View at Volunteer residence, Paganakan Dii.

View from the kitchen at the volunteer residence, Paganakan Dii

Amaco is playing the enrichment.

No comments: