8/9/18

There Won’t Be Another Experience Just Like This

3/8/2018

Text by Jessamine Thong Jiah Kher
Photos by Jessamine Thong Jiah Kher, Chiew Lin May & Seng Yen Wah

Picture

​HI WORLD!~~ (with a very high pitch voice) hahhaha Ok… that’s a bit annoying, sorry…

Picture

Anyways, hi! I’m Jessamine Thong who is taking a Diploma in Animal Health and Production programme in the University Putra Malaysia Kampus Bintulu, Sarawak (UPMKB) and I’m here to share this my journey of undergoing an internship in BSBCC.

To be honest, I had no idea bears even existed in Malaysia before working with BSBCC and right on the first day, the friendliest team of bear care coordinators fed me all the facts on sun bears, and I was quite lost, but well, we learn don’t we?

 So, my internship lasted for 2 and a half months and well, it was unexpectedly wonderful! Sun Bears! Wow! Why not?! They are Beautiful! But what really made BSBCC beautiful is how the staff and volunteers really care. Let’s get on with my adventure shall we?

Well, if you’re undergoing a volunteer programme or an internship, the centre would always assign a buddy to you! Having a buddy is a wonderful idea as it feels like you have someone that can be close to you when you’re new. They would be like an additional family member that you never knew of! They’ll teach you, guide you and take the fullest care of you during your time there. So who’s my buddy? Well, it’s the legendary senior bear keeper DAVID TAHIR. He taught me a lot from the first day I came, until the day I left. From cleaning cages to making creative enrichments, there’s just nothing he can’t do. Best buddy ever!

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

I had learnt a lot thanks to you David, my buddy!

​What did I like most, during the whole internship?

Well, if I had to choose… it’s definitely going to be building enrichments! Yup, building is so much FUN! And the feeling of achievement after you have finished and knowing that the bear really enjoyed their new play equipment, there were just no words to describe the joy that I felt. 

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Well, I love building things and thanks for involving me on building these wonderful enrichments!

​There was lots of events going on during my time there, and one of the favourite was of course, SUN BEAR DAY (16 May 2018) – Making a lot of enrichments and also getting involved in giving visitors a good old hands-on experience in making these enrichments.

Picture

Picture

Bjorn Hala – ‘Bear Home’

            This is actually a house where the staffs and volunteers live during their time here. This brings me back to the first day I’ve arrived. Andy, the ‘manager’ of Bjorn Hala: I’m so sorry that my bag was super heavy, I’ve no idea what made it that heavy but thanks for helping me with it! And also the Bjorn Hala family, thanks for welcoming me warmly, and make me feel at home.

Picture

Bojrn Hala Family portrait –
From the left, Mizuno, Andy, Wawa, Becca, Jasmine, Jessamine and Jeniur

Picture

- Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre Family –
Dr. Wong’s and his wonderful team of ‘Sun Bears’

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Some bears in BSBCC

All the bears and people I have met here, as well as all the love and care they shared, the food they fed, the unexpected experience they gave me, are unreplaceable and memories I will hold forever. Thanks for taking me out on so many adventures and this unforgettable experience.

That’s quite all from me. Curious on what made my internship so unique? Just come here and experience what I had, what all the other volunteers and interns had, then you’ll know, why it’s gonna be one of the best part of your life. Trust me, there will be no regrets! 

No comments: