4/23/12

Jelita the stuffed sun bear won big prize – Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre

Jelita the stuffed sun bear won big prize – Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre

Date: April 19th 2012
By: Siew Te Wong
Text and photos by Maria Collin
I am very happy to announce that my little sun bear, Jelita, made
specially for the next BSBCC fundraiser has won a Golden George Award -
the “Oscar” of the teddy bear world!
I entered her in the competition in the hope that she might engender
more awareness of Sun bears – and she did me proud! I was stunned and
thrilled to bits when she won the “naturbär” category…………and i
have to say that the trophy is quite something – two kilos of solid
bronze, and heavy to hold when you are shaking with emotion and excitement!
The Golden George competition is run in conjunction with the Teddybär
Total show in Münster, Germany – a two day event which attracts
exhibitors from all over the world. And there I was there with my
bears, but wearing sun bear t.shirts – a copy of Forty Wild Life Heroes
open on my table (at the appropriate section) and telling anyone who
would listen about “our ” bears :)
And the nicest thing happened on saturday morning……the show
organiser took the Bürgermeisterin (Mayoress) of Münster around the
show, after she had opened it………….came to my table, introduced
us and then told her that I not only make bears but campaign hard for
REAL bears – how nice was that? Result is that she went off clutching a
flyer inviting her to our fund raiser………YAY!
anyway – Jelita is one of the prizes in our June fundraiser – and she
comes with added allure……..”Oscar – winer”. I hope she raises lots
for the BSBCC………..oh – but I get to keep the trophy !

No comments: