Text by Lee Ying Li
I would like to introduce Simone to the world.
Simone is the kind of sun bear who is almost impossible not
to fall in love with. She is cute, clever, active, and endlessly curious. There
is always something happening when Simone is around — exploring a new corner,
investigating anything that catches her attention, or simply keeping herself
busy with her own little adventures. Watching her, I found myself noticing the
smallest things, and somehow, those little moments became some of my favourite
memories.
During my time with Simone, I slowly learned that getting to
know a sun bear does not mean being able to touch them. It means watching,
observing, and learning to understand them from a respectful distance.
Sometimes, caring for them means knowing when to step closer, and more
importantly, knowing when to step back.
During my time with the bears, I came to understand that
caring for them is not about how close we can get. It is about giving them what
they need while respecting who they are. This is what I wanted to put into
words:
𝐖𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭
𝐓𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡
𝐭𝐡𝐞
𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬
"We cannot touch the bears,
but while they’re licking honey,
we gently sprayed iodine
and rubbed ointment onto their inflamed wounds.
We cannot touch the bears,
but when the anesthesia began to work,
we softly stroked their arms and claws,
and on their firm, flat palms,
I gave a high-five only I will remember.
We cannot touch the bears,
the toys we made by gathering materials
from forest,
the vegetables and supplements we prepared in the kitchen,
are all handed to them with careful caution.
We cannot touch the bears,
yet we love them,
only to set them free."
Looking back on my time at BSBCC, I realised that loving the
bears does not always mean being close to them. Sometimes, it means keeping a
distance, respecting their boundaries, and caring for them without expecting
anything in return.
I may not be able to touch Simone, but I am grateful for
every moment I spent watching her, caring for her, and getting to know her
little by little.
Perhaps that is what makes this experience so special. We
care for them, we grow attached to them, and in the end, we hope they no longer
need us.
Because sometimes, the greatest way to love a wild animal is
to love them enough to let them go.






No comments:
Post a Comment