3/25/12

Who agree with me if I say sun bear cub is “BEARY” cute? – Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre

Who agree with me if I say sun bear cub is “BEARY” cute? – Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre

Text and photos by Siew Te Wong
 Debbie is now a sweet bear. From a very aggressive sun bear cub (good for her to be aggressive because she needed to) when she first came to BSBCC, she is now a very sweet and mellow sun bear cub. I can touch her nose. Sometime, she would let me stroke her paw in return. For sun bear, paw touching is a very important sign of trust because they will never let any stranger touch them, especially their paw .
 After spending more than a month with us, Debbie finally trusted me for security and accepted me as a family, so to speak. Regardless of how much I do to comfort her and give her a good home, in her eyes however, I still see sadness, like an orphan losing her mother. In fact, Debbie the sun bear cub has lost her mother to poacher, and she was capture as pet.
I can watch her playing in her den for a long time. Her favorite position would be in laying down in her sleeping basket and chewing whatever enrichment toys we gave her that day. Few days ago I gave her a cardboard box. In tens of minutes, she shredded the hard cardboard box into small pieces….
Who agree with me if I say sun bear cub is very cute?
BUT, please don’t keep sun bear as pet. They are totally protected and endangered wildlife, not pet!  
aIMG_1983
aIMG_1985
aIMG_1986
aIMG_1992
aIMG_1993
aIMG_1996
aIMG_2002
aIMG_2016
aIMG_2017
aIMG_2018
aIMG_2022
Bookmark and Share

3 Comments

  1. Dana
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 12:59 am | Permalink | Edit
    Wonderful series of photos Siew – in some you can definitely see a glitter of happiness, contentment or joy in Debbie’s – but there is NOTHING like a Mother’s love, touch and caring to really make Debbie really happy.
  2. Posted March 3, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink | Edit
    Agree Dana. They are wildlife and should live in the forest. No one can replace mother, no one. Hope we will be no more cub to be rescued again.
  3. Karen
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink | Edit
    She is so very adorable! Thank you so much Siew, for all that you do for these precious bears.

Post a Comment

Logged in as Siew Te Wong. Log out?

No comments: