4/10/23

5 Years Later

Text by Amy Louise Patience

Photos by Jacquelyn Jill Jepiuh


My first experience with Borneo Sun Bear Conservation Centre was in April 2018. At that time, I was just visiting the Centre and happened to meet three women from Queensland, Australia who were volunteering and offered to tell me about the sun bears (thanks Krystal, Krystal and Sue). Almost five years later, I’ve returned to BSBCC to volunteer myself! 


It’s been an absolute privilege to help look after the sun bears for the last two weeks. My excellent bear keeper buddy Nealbert has taught me so much about the bears, conservation, Sabah and all of the animals in the Bornean rainforest (thankyou Neal!) The culture of the BSBCC staff and bear house is welcoming and friendly, making it easy to feel at home and to learn the new tasks.

Sadly, some bears are not able to be released into the wild, however I’ve been lucky enough to witness the preparations for Sika’s release into the Tabin wildlife reserve and see everyone’s hard work paying off. I’ll be looking out for the BBC special!

Making enrichment and seeing the bears interact with it was especially memorable. I hope that one day I can return to the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre and the beautiful surroundings once more.





No comments: